10/03/2010


Having trouble with the video? Click here for help

Click here to go to beginning of the service

“How to Love Like Jesus” part 3 of a 7 week series

Dr. Scott Koenigsaecker
John 13:31-36 ~ October 3, 2010

INTRODUCTION
 
"I'm giving you a new commandment: Love each other in the same way that I have loved you."                                                                             John 13:34

"I have given you an example to follow.  Do as I have done to you."
                                                                                John 13:15

I.  JESUS ACCEPTS US, SO WE MUST ACCEPT OTHERS.

A. Jesus accepts us.
"The Father gives me my people.  Every one of them will come to me, and I will always accept them." John 6:37 (New Contemporary Version)

B. Jesus accepts us so that we can accept Him.
"God did not send His Son into the world to condemn it but to save it!"                                                                                               John 3:17

C. Jesus chose to accept us and make us acceptable to God.
"For Christ died for sins once and for all, the righteous for the unrighteous."                                                                       I Peter 3:18

D. So, we must love others in spite of their imperfections.
"Love is patient and kind….is not rude…it is not irritable…keeps no record of wrongs…Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful."                                                                  I Corinthians 13:4-7

II. JESUS VALUES US, SO WE MUST VALUE OTHERS.

A. You are infinitely valuable to God.
"What is the price of five sparrows--two copper coins?  Yet God does not forget a single one of them….So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."      Luke 12:6-7

B. What makes something valuable?

·       The first is who made it.
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
                                                                                          Ephesians 2:10
·        Second, value depends on what someone will pay.
"He paid for you with the precious lifeblood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God."                                                 I Peter 1:19

C. God esteems us and so we should esteem others.
"Treat everyone you meet with dignity."              I Peter 2:17 (Message) "Respect everyone…and love…."                                        I Peter 2:17

III. JESUS FORGIVES US, SO WE MUST FORGIVE OTHERS.

A. God is not a wrong keeper.  He is a forgiver of our faults.
"I am the God who forgives your sins, and I do this because of who I am.  I will not hold your sins against you."                                Isaiah 43:25

B. Forgiveness is a concrete expression of God's love for us.
"Long ago, even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes."     Ephesians 1:4

C. So, we must forgive others.
"You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you.  Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others."                                                      Colossians 3:13

D. "Forgive, and you will be forgiven."                                        Luke 6:37

CONCLUSION