1/02/2011


Having trouble with the video? Click here for help

Click here to go to beginning of the service

NEW!  Click here to watch with captions (for the deaf & hard of hearing) or in other languages


"Expect a Miracle"
Nehemiah 1:11-2:8
Rev. Rick Dietzman, January 2, 2011

INTRODUCTION

Personal miracles are…
  • Needs that God fulfills with our presence or action
  • Opportunities for God to show his personal love and concern through a human agent.

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:10 (New International Version)

_RESPOND  TO GOD’S NUDGES

“O Lord, please hear my prayer! Listen to the prayers of those of us who delight in honoring you.” Nehemiah 1:11
“How can I not be sad? For the city where my ancestors are buried is in ruins.” Nehemiah 2:3

Pay attention to out of context thoughts or interruptions
An inner push that directs us toward a person or an action

I.      __DRAW OUT    THE NEED
  • Provision, resources, money
  • Dreams that are dashed, loss of potential
  • Broken relationships

A.     A  _revealing_ clue:  is a signal that comes from another person’s words or body language.
The king asked, “Why are you looking so sad? You don’t look sick ... You must be deeply troubled.” Nehemiah 2:2

B.     A _clarifying_ response: Confirming a need. Usually in the form of a question 
“The king asked, “Well, how can I help you?” Nehemiah 2:4

II.          INVEST    YOURSELF AND RISK
The king said to me, "What is it you want?" Then I prayed to the God of heaven…” Nehemiah 2:4 NIV

  1. Asking to be sent
“If you are pleased with me, your servant, send me to Judah to rebuild the city.” Nehemiah 2:5

  1. Asking for involvement – and don’t limit it to Christians
“If it pleases the king, let me have letters… Nehemiah 2:7
“Let me have timber”  Nehemiah 2:8
“The king, I should add sent along army officers and horsemen to protect me.”  Nehemiah 2:9

  1. Asking that deeper question that comes to mind about the need.
a.     Trust God to lead you (Move through fear).
b.     Search for the emotional obstacle or limiting belief.
c.     Give God time to act.

III.     __ACKNOWLEDGE_ WHAT GOD HAS DONE
“The king granted these requests, because the gracious hand of God was on me.” Nehemiah 2:8

Help others to see and give God the credit.

CONCLUSION
“The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden…you will be known as a rebuilder of walls and a restorer of homes.”  Isaiah 58:11-12 (NLT)